Electrical safety for pets.

Here are some steps that you can take to reduce the risk of electrical fires in your home.
1. Make sure that plug sockets are not overloaded – if too many appliances draw power from one socket, it can overheat and catch fire.
2. Never leave washing machines or dishwashers running when you are out of the house, if the appliance gets an electrical fault, a fire could quiet easily start.
3. Don’t plug a mobile phone into charge and then forget about it.
4. Check that plugs, sockets, lights and cables are not damaged or displaying burn marks.
5. Don’t leave a portable heater unattended when excitable pets are running around the house!
6. Don’t leave cables trailing – as well as being a trip hazard, they might be too good to resist for a pet looking for something to chew on.
7. Don’t store anything that could easily catch fire on top of the microwave or near your fuse box / consumer unit or electricity meter.