Bank Holiday DIY

25th August – Summer Bank Holiday

With the last Bank Holiday before Christmas fast approaching, you might be considering doing a little DIY to spruce your home up, but please be careful and don’t end up as a statistic, according to an NHS Trust report in April 2014 more than 200,000 people are injured each year whilst doing DIY.

Someone dies as a result of an electrical accident in their home every week in the UK

As we all know DIY is the abbreviation for Do It Yourself, but it should also stand for “Don’t Injury Yourself”.

As a home-owner you are entitled to carry out any electrical works in your home. Some smaller jobs may not be required to be notified for Part P compliance. However, should you need to safely certificate the work in accordance with BS7671 wiring regulations and register it with Part P building control for compliance, you will be required to provide evidence that you are a ‘competent person’ and have carried the work out correctly. You will need to provide certification. If you’re a home-owner and you carry out your own electrical work, should you ever move or rent your property you will be asked to present all the certification for the electrical work carried out. You cannot obtain the appropriate certification following your own installation of electrical work at a later stage. If someone is injured or a property is damaged your insurance will be invalid if you do not have the appropriate certification to prove the system is safe.

Putting up shelves, simple enough, nothing to do with electrics, right? Well, are you absolutely certain that there are no cables in the wall where you are about to drill?

In the survey conducted by Electrical Safety First it was found that almost half of all severe electric shocks are caused by DIY attempts, with the main errors including cutting through power leads, drilling into wiring in walls and repairing electrical items that are still switched on.

In a survey of registered electricians, a third said they had seen or been involved with fixing DIY that had resulted in fires, serious electric shock or serious financial cost to repair.

Be safe out there.

Always use a registered electrician.